Monday, May 17, 2010

This is my first time, so be understanding

Okay, My first evah post. Be kind. Be generous. Tell me what you'd like me to do!

Right now life for Cougars is dangerous. According to this Sunday's (May 16, 2010) New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/fashion/16cougar.htm, Google has recently deemed Cougar dating sites “non-family safe,” and therefore its ads for such sites containing the word “cougar” will not be allowed on so-called content pages. There's a lot of controversy as to why. Much of it explained in the NY Times article.

Mostly, I believe it's the same old double standard baby-boomer women have been experiencing since before the Revolution (i.e., the 1970s Women's Liberation Movement, second only to the first, which was when women were given the right to vote).

Enough kvetching.  This blog is not going to be about picking scabs covering old wounds. It's going to be fun, irreverent, and talk about the vanities, delights, downsides and, yes, worrisome concerns I've had (and still have) as a Cougar (yep, I'll talk about keeping saggy triceps and other saggy parts in place).

My Cougar life began in 1997 when I started dating a man who is 16 years younger than me. Sixteen years ago the term Cougar didn't exist. Although, as the foremother of it all, Cher was doin' it. What's happened in those 16 years and what's happening now will be the theme of my blog. Please sign in and sign up. Invite your friends. Invite your enemies. Invite your frenemies. Share your thoughts with others. Because, despite the warning label, I do not think Cougars will vanishing any time soon.

To life after sugar daddy,
Marilyn

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations both on your new blog and on your happy relationship. But you, a cougar? Really? Before you claim it, check out the modern definition of "cougar" in a place like the online Urban Dictionary. I don't think you fit the description at all! (Or maybe you're having a lot more fun than I know!) Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you were going to do it, and you sure have!
    So congratulations on the blog and I look forward to following you.

    As always, you have been ahead of your time, so when you saw your "man" in the elevator, you just did what you thought was right. Personally, I think the term "cougar" is an insult; if two people click, they click!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Marilyn, on starting the blog. I was going to forward you the NYT link, but I see you already were aware of it. And if you need to redefine perceptions about cougars, you certainly have the PR skills to do so! I look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, this is the definition I prefer: The grace and power of the cougar has been widely admired in the cultures of the indigenous peoples of the Americas. The Inca city of Cusco is reported to have been designed in the shape of a cougar, and the animal also gave its name to both Inca regions and people. The Moche people represented the puma often in their ceramics.[69] The sky and thunder god of the Inca, Viracocha, has been associated with the animal.[70]

    N.B. I hope to show that today's Cougar is not predatory, but ahead of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MEC:
    You're asking ME to be kind and understanding? Oy vey! Which reminds me, how can you use a word like "kvetch" in sleepy old midwestern Cleveland, Ohio? Oy!
    Hey! If I date a woman 16 years my junior, what does that make me? (Besides, damned lucky.)
    jptab

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there sis,

    Go for it. But, you are not the definition of a cougar - you are a great lady! I'm proud of you and have always been.
    Luv ya,
    sis #2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the blog! So glad you did it Marilyn and looking forward to following you! You will no doubt change the definition of Cougardom! Interesting that the Times had the photo of Ann Bancroft. Talk about type casting!
    Looking forward to your more progressive ideas on the concept!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog post. I have begun following as I share your views and would like to support them. Though I would prefer labels to be dropped altogether, I do believe they are here to stay, and I think it's great that you are sharing your real experiences to dispel any myths and stereotypes associated with cougars. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete